My mom used to cook this when we were younger. We would always ask her “Ma! Luto ka ng tuwalya na may pork and beans” (Ma! Please cook the beef tripe with pork and beans) It was only later that I found out that this dish is called Callos.
Callos is a stew made from beef tripes and beans. This dish is easy to prepare but it will take atleast 2 hours of cooking for the beef tripe to be tender. Don’t worry, it will all be worth it at the end.
1/4 kilo Beef Tripe
1 Big can of Pork and Beans
1 chorizo sliced diagonally (optional)
1 bell pepper (optional)
Garlic and Onion chopped
Salt & Pepper
1. Clean the beef tripe and put it in a casserole
2. Add a dash of salt and pepper
3. Boil the beef tripe for 2 hours or until tender
4. Once tender, cut into strip
5. Keep the broth
6. On a seperate casserole, saute garlic and onions
7. Add in the beef tripe
8. Add the chorizo
9. Add the bellpepper
10. Add the pork and beans
11. Add 1/2 cup of beef broth
12. Season accordingly
Let me know if you have tried cooking this using the recipe above and what’s their reaction on your dish?