Guide to Philippine Passport Application for Recently Married Filipina

Post wedding paper work is one of the many dilemmas a married woman encounters after the wedding. It’s like going through the stressful process over again.

This guide is for Filipina women:

  1. …who will be getting a new passport after marriage
  2. …who married a Filipino
  3. …whose marriage took place in the Philippines
  4. …who is residing in NCR – Metro Manila

Before we begin, I wanted to highlight that there’s NO LAW in the Philippines obliging us, women, to change our last name after marriage.

It is our option to use our husband’s surname or not. AND, once we started using it for passport application, we must consistently do this too with other documents and records to avoid confusion.

Please also take note that after this, we cannot revert our name back to our maiden name except for the following instances:

  1. death of husband
  2. divorce (which is not legal here)
  3. annulment or nullity of marriage

So, are you now decided to use his last name?

If yes, here are the ways how we can change our last name
(Articles 370 to 372, New Civil Code of the Philippines)

  1. Maiden first name and surname and add the husband’s surname
    Ex. Frecelynne Abegail Lambino – Roman
  2. Maiden first name and husband’s surname
    Ex. Frecelynne Abegail Roman
  3. Husband’s full name, but prefixing a word indicating that I am his wife, such as “Mrs.”
    Ex. Mrs. Randy Owen Roman

Why did I choose to change my last name to my husband’s name?

The husband who gives his name to his bride in marriage is thus not just keeping his own; he is owning up to what it means to have been given a family and a family name by his own father – he is living out his destiny to be a father by saying yes to it in advance. And the wife does not so much surrender her name as she accepts the gift of his, given and received as a pledge of (among other things) loyal and responsible fatherhood for her children.”
(From “What’s Your Name?” published by professors Leon and Amy Kass of The Institute on Religion and Public Life of the University of Chicago)


BUT, if you prefer to use your maiden name and just wanted to change your status, that’s okay! No need to update your name, just the status. 🙂


A Philippine passport is a document issued by the Philippine government to its citizens requesting other governments to allow its citizens to pass freely, and in case of need to give them lawful aid and protection [RA 8239, Sec. (d)]. The acquisition of a Philippine passport is a privilege. The law recognizes the passport applicant’s constitutional right to travel. However, the State is also mandated to protect and maintain the integrity and credibility of the passport and travel documents proceeding from it. It is a function of our Philippine consular officers to pass upon claims for or resolve matters involving Philippine citizenship and, upon determination of such citizenship, to issue an applicant with a Philippine passport. The passport remains a property of the Philippine Government and should be surrendered to the State should it be demanded through a competent Philippine Government official.
– Republic Act No. 8239, also known as the “Philippine Passport Act of 1996,”


How to apply?

  1. Set an appointment, click here
  2. Fill out the online application form. Check all the data before submitting it.
  3. Choose your preferred DFA branch and application date
    DFA Aseana (Parañaque)
    DFA West (SM City Manila)
    DFA – Central (Robinson’s Galleria)
    DFA East (SM Megamall)
    DFA South (Metro Alabang)
    DFA Northeast (Alimall)
  4. Update your supporting IDs and documents at least 3 months (and more…) before your DFA appointment date.
  5. Make sure all the original documents and IDs were photocopied before your DFA appointment date.

TIP: With many Filipinos travelling out of the country, you have to set an appointment earlier than you need to. As an example, my friend needs to go to Singapore on July. But last March, the earliest available slot is on the 2nd week of May.


What are the requirements?

  1. Confirmed DFA appointment
  2. Personal appearance on your appointment date
  3. Printed application form downloaded from DFA Appointment System
  4. NSO Birth Certificate
  5. Valid IDs and supporting documents to prove identity
  6. Additional requirement for Married Women *This is for us*:
    • Marriage Contract (MC) in Security Paper (SECPA) issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA)
    • OR original and photocopy of the Certified True Copy (CTC) of MC issued by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) and duly authenticated by PSA.
      NOTE: Transcribed Marriage Contract from the LCR is required when entries in PSA Marriage Contract are blurred or unreadable.
      In layman’s term: Marriage certificate that you’ll get from NSO/Census

List of acceptable IDS (At least 1 of the following):

  1. Government-issued picture IDs such as the following
  2. Digitized SSS ID
  3. Driver’s License
  4. GSIS E-card
  5. PRC ID
  6. IBP ID
  7. OWWA ID
  8. Digitized BIR ID (b)
  9. Senior Citizen’s ID
  10. Unified Multi-Purpose ID (c)

Other acceptable picture IDs such as the following:

  1. Old College ID
  2. Alumni ID
  3. Old Employment IDs

List of supporting documents:

(Old documents issued at least one year prior to date of application that show correct name, date and place of birth, picture and signature of applicant, At least 2 of the following)

  1. PSA Marriage Contract
  2. Land Title
  3. Seaman’s Book
  4. Elementary or High School Form 137 or Transcript of Records with readable dry seal
    Government Service Record
  5. NBI Clearance (d)
  6. Police Clearance (e)
  7. Barangay Clearance (f)
  8. Digitized Postal ID (g)
  9. Readable SSS-E1 Form or Microfilmed Copy of SSS-E1 Form
  10. Voter’s Certification, List of Voters and Voter’s Registration Record
  11. School Yearbook

I highlighted 7 items that you can update. Check out the instructions below. You need to get these before your scheduled DFA appointment

1. Marriage Contract – You should have this and you’ll not get anywhere without this.

Any one from these, but the more the better, right?
2. Digitized BIR ID
3. Unified Multi-Purpose ID

Any two from these, but the more the better, right?
4. NBI Clearance
5. Police Clearance
6. Barangay Clearance
7. Digitized Postal ID


Now, let’s talk about how you can get the the Marriage Contract (MC) in Security Paper (SECPA) issued by the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) or The Certified True Copy (CTC) of MC issued by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR) and duly authenticated by PSA.

Remember the 3 copies of paper that you signed on your wedding day? That’s your marriage contract. The three copies are for…

  1. church
  2. you (couple)
  3. 3) local civil registrar that will be submitted to NSO afterwards.

In our case, the church gave us 30 days period before we got our copy of marriage contract. Once you have this piece of paper, don’t get too excited updating your records as this is not considered valid by government bodies.

Why? Because first, this is your personal copy and second it does not have the authorized signature and seal of local civil registrar.

There are two documents that are considered valid when updating records:

1) NSO certified Marriage Contract
If the wedding occurred within Metro Manila, it may take around 2-4 months before you can get your NSO authenticated MC. And around 6 months if the wedding occurred outside Metro Manila

2) Another option is to get your Certified True Copy (CTC) of MC issued by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR)
This will be your written proof that you are married and your NSO MC is already processing. You can get this document 30 days after the wedding, or can be earlier if the church has submitted the marriage contract to the local civil registrar ahead of time.

When to get your NSO authenticated Marriage Certificate?
Please understand that it may take several months after the date of marriage before the marriage certificate is received, verified and converted into digital format by the NSO.

Therefore kindly allow:

  • at least two (2) to four (4) months after the date of birth/marriage/death, if the birth/marriage/death occurred within Metro Manila
  • at least six (6) months after the date of birth/marriage/death, if the birth/marriage/death occurred outside Metro Manila before filing your request for a copy of the document.

If you still need to get a copy of marriage certificate earlier than normal, you may contact this number: (632) 981-7777/-7778 to file for “Advance Endorsement” at the Local Civil Registry Office (LCRO) of the city/municipality where the wedding occurred. .

This means you are requesting the LCRO to advance (“endorse”) a copy of the marriage certificate to the National Statistics Office (NSO) ahead of the regular schedule of submission of civil registry documents. The LCRO will charge a fee for this service.

If you are an existing member, with an ID already – You need to update your SSS records first before you can request for a new UMID ID.

Update your SSS records

  1. Go to any SSS branch
  2. Fill out the E-4 form (Member Data Change Request) together with a photocopy of Certified True Copy (CTC) of MC issued by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR)
  3. You will fill out two copies of E-4 form because the first copy will be for SSS and the other one is for you
  4. Submit the form to the designated counter
  5. Usually, they will call you to see the original Certified True Copy (CTC) of MC issued by the Local Civil Registrar (LCR)
  6. After this, the clerk will sign and stamped your E-4 form as received
  7. They will ask you to forward this to another counter for reviewing purpose.
  8. After reviewing what you have submitted, you will go back to the first clerk (who received your documents)

Then, that’s it! Your SSS records is now updated and you are now ready to request for a new ID

Request for a new UMID ID

Before you request for a new UMID ID, please take note of the following:

  • It will take around 2-3 months before you receive the new UMID.
  • There’s an additional Php 300 payment for new ID request.
  • After submitting your request, you will have to surrender your old ID which means, you won’t have UMID for 2-3 months.
  • So if you have time to spare and have other valid IDs, then you can go ahead and request for a new one
  1. Fill out the Unified Multi-Purpose ID Application From
  2. Check the card replacement – amendment of name
  3. Submit the form to the designated counter. You will have to present an ID that shows your information and photo
  4. After this, you’ll have to wait for your turn for data capturing
  5. They will get your signature, thumb mark and photo
  6. Then, you’ll wait for your ID to be delivered to your address.
  1. Go to the local BIR office in the city or town.
  2. Bring birth certificate and valid ID.
  3. Fill up TIN application form (there are different kinds of forms, ask assistance to find the right form).
  4. Submit the application form at the counter.
  5. Present a valid ID or the birth certificate.
  6. Wait for Tax Identification Number to be given.
  7. Request for your TIN Card ID, which applicants are entitled to according to E.O. 98.
  8. Wait for the ID. If the office is not busy, it can be processed within 1 hour. However, during very busy days, applicants may need to return the next day.

Gone were the days when you have to go to NBI satellite offices extra early. Right now, you just have to fill out an application online and set an appointment.

Click here to set an appointment

Police clearance is a written proof that you are cleared from any records in PNP. You can avail this document from any PNP headquarters which is usually located on your municipal’s office.


  1. Duly filled out application form (which you’ll get from them)
  2. Cedula / Community tax certificate
  3. Baranggay Clearance

Note: You don’t have to bring ID pictures anymore because Police clearance is now digitized just like NBI Clearance. They will capture your photo and signature.


  1. Fill out a request form from the Duty Desk Officer
  2. Submit the form with the required documents to the Desk Officer for verification
  3. Pay the Police Clearance Fee (determined by the LGU where the police office is located) at the treasurer’s office
  4. Submit the official receipt to the Clearance Police Non-Commissioned Officer (PNCO)
  5. Place your thumb mark on the space provided for and claim the clearance

Baranggay clearance is a document to prove that you are a good citizen in your baranggay. The requirements to get one differs from one baranggay to another.

Before we got married, my permanent address was in Barangay Pinyahan QC. With just a proof of billing and cedula, I got my barangay certificate.

While Dee was a permanent resident in Barangay San Roque in Caloocan and he got his barangay certificate by presenting a proof of billing and cedula too.

When we moved to Cainta after marriage, Brgy. Sto. Domingo has different requirements. The lady in charge says that I need to be a voter in Cainta before she can issue a Baranggay certificate. That time, my smart postpaid bill was already being sent to our new permanent address so I asked her if presenting a proof of billing will help me and she says no. I really have to be a registered voter from Cainta. I have another option, I have to know someone who is a certified voter from Cainta to certify that I am living in that address. This didn’t do me any good since the caretaker of the apartment where we are renting out are registered voter from Pasig. By the way, our place is boundary between Pasig and Cainta. So it’s really confusing.

To make my long story short, I was not able to get a Baranggay certificate. But it should be easy on other Baranggays…


1. Duly filled out application form (which you’ll get from them)
2. Cedula / Community tax certificate


1. Go to the Baranggay or Municipal Hall and tell the office that you needed Branggay certificate


1. Duly accomplished application form (available at and at nationwide capture-sites)
2. Original and photocopy of birth certificate from the National Statistics Office or the Local Civil Registry
3. Married females will also need to present a marriage certificate, while minors need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian
4. Original and photocopy of proof of address (barangay clearance or utility bill showing the applicant’s name and address)

So that’s it! Once you have all the requirements, I wish you luck with your passport appointment.


I hope this write up could help you or at least enlighten you on the process of updating your records. I would love to hear your stories. Let me know what happens, okay?

Did you like this blog?
Follow me on Facebook, Instagram and Tiktok, and be updated on my latest posts.


Work with me?
I love collaborations and I enjoy working with various brands. See my portfolio here.

10 Replies to “Guide to Philippine Passport Application for Recently Married Filipina”

  1. Hello, all of my primary IDs are still under my single name. Do I still need to update my primary IDs first to my married name or will the Marriage Contract do? Thank you in advance.

    1. Hi Raquel, just saw your message. You can already go directly to DFA as long as you have your authenticated marriage certificate. I prefer to have my other IDs updated before I renewed my passport. 🙂

  2. what if my ids are all in my maiden name but i do have my authenticated marriage , can i get a passport? thanks

  3. Hi.
    my cousin just got married last year but they are already separated now and annulment is being planned already. Will it be Okay if she will put single in the passport renewal since all in her documents are still single? Or, will the dfa know that she is married and will she be punished by putting single instead of married?

  4. Hi! I hope you see this even thought it’s already 2019.
    Do you happen to know if the DFA keeps the PSA copy of marriage certificate or do they give it back?
    Thank you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.