There is no doubt that we, Filipinos, are known to be resilient. Sadly, this is also true when it comes to our health. As much as we can, we endure all the pain and symptoms before we visit a doctor. We see it as “gastos lang yan”. But I would like to highlight that health shouldn’t be considered as an expense. It’s true – health is wealth.
When I was still working, one of the company benefits is a health card. If I’m feeling under the weather, the heath card will take care of the checkup and diagnostic tests’ bills. Now that I am a stay-at-home-mom, I don’t have this perk anymore. Each check-up will cost me Php 300 – Php 500. It’s expensive especially if there would be follow up checkups.
In Dec 2015, they opened their first two clinics. They have currently 67 clinics all over the metro and nearby cities.
For three years now, they are providing affordable quality primary healthcare for Filipino families.
They are offering 3 essential services:
1. Clinic – True to what they promise –“The Doctor is always in!” Doctors are available anytime between 8 AM to 8 PM, Monday through Saturday.
2. Diagnostic Facility – They have a full range of Diagnostic Labs and Imaging; whether you need an X-Ray, Ultrasound, Blood Test or Urinalysis. Their laboratory exams are processed through DOH-accredited tertiary laboratory.
3. Pharmacy – They also have an in house pharmacy that offers branded and generic medicines.
My Experience with FamilyDoc
If you’ve been following my stories on Instagram, you’d see that I’ve been experiencing worst back pain. I was rushed to the ER twice because I couldn’t handle it anymore. With muscle spasm as the only diagnosis, I was just provided with strong pain killers prescriptions.
That’s why I am delighted to be part of FamilyDoc’s Unli-Konsulta campaign. Now, I can get a second opinion for FREE.
A day after my birthday (August 12), I went to FamilyDoc – Countryside Branch because this is the nearest branch from our home. As in, one tricycle away! The front desk had no idea about the campaign because they weren’t briefed. After the phone call from our contact person, they assisted the way they were assisting the other patients before me.
- They asked me to sign a sheet with my contact information.
- They had my photo taken for their database.
- They got my vital signs like pulse, heart rate, blood pressure, height, and weight.
- They asked me to submit my urine for a pregnancy test because I’m 3 days delayed (Don’t worry guys. I’m not pregnant. It’s a PCOS thing)
- Then, I waited for my turn to be seen by a doctor. It wasn’t that long, probably because there were only a few patients that day.
Dr. Jake Bryan Cortez was the doctor on duty. He asked a few relevant questions ranging from my current health up to my family’s health history. With an assistant, he also checked my back by stroking my spinal cord.
Here are his findings:
First, he suggested that I should take an X-Ray test to see the accurate angle of my spine because it seems like my dextroscoliosis worsen. He also added that I may need to take therapy that will help me improve my back condition. He also prescribed muscle relaxant that will help in relieving the pain when it strikes again.
He also recommended that I should do the following:
- Pap smear (a screening procedure for cervical cancer) and take folic acids
- Annual Flu Vaccine (my last flu vaccine was last year)
- Lose weight through a healthy diet
Here are the other things that I like about FamilyDOC
1. FamilyDoc D’ Beat Movement – Diabetes Care Club
Dr. Cortez explained their Diabetes Care Club because diabetes is part of my family’s medical condition.
The FamilyDoc’s computed the total annual cost of a diabetic patient. That’s why they formulated their Diabetes Care Club to help lessen the cost.
For only Php 2,400 yearly (vs. Php10, 000 total costs), the members are eligible for:
- UNLIMITED Doctor Consult
- Discounts on wound care
- FREE maintenance labs every 3 months (HBA1C, FBS, Lipid Profile, Creatinine, and SGPT)
2. Free follow up checkup
The consultation fee for their first-time patient is Php 450. This already includes the free follow up check up on the next 7 days. The patient will automatically be a lifetime member of Family Doc.
Succeeding check-up fee will be then Php 350 with free follow up check up on the next seven days.
3. Free consult for those who waited that long
As a way to show that they value their patient’s time, they are providing free consultation is the patient waited for more than 45 minutes from the moment their vital signs were recorded.
4. Affordable vaccines
I got a leaflet from them and I saw that their vaccines are cheaper than hospital vaccines. As an example, we paid Php 5,000 for Audrey’s Pneumococcal13. But it’s only Php 3,950 from them.
5. Electronic Medical Records (EMR)
Their clinics are equipped with Vigos EMR. This is very convenient for doctors and patients because the record can be viewed at any branch.
6. Clean facilities
Another thing that I noticed is their facilities are clean. There is also an area for kids with stuff toys that they can play with.
7. Unli-KONSULTA Card
For only Php, 1,500…you’ll get the following:
- 1,500 peso points – Redeemable in any FamilyDOC Clinics – Labs, Medicines, Consumer Goods
- 1 year UNLIMITED consultation for 3 people (1 principal cardholder + 2 dependents); Enroll anyone as your dependent (NO age limit/No blood relation restriction)
- Lifetime FamilyDOC membership that includes a 10% discount on laboratory tests and imaging services
8. Service calculator
If you wanted to have an idea of how much will your visit cost, their website has a service calculator.
Current Promo for AUGUST
New patients or first time FamilyDOC visitors will be provided with FREE consultation at any FamilyDOC branch.
How about you? Have you been to Family Doc?
If yes, how was your experience?
If no, will you go there?